The Ladies Gaelic Football Association will team up with Lidl Ireland and Jigsaw to roll out five days of activity focusing on Positive Youth Mental Health from Monday 1st to Friday 5th June.
As everyone will be aware many of our members across the country were due to begin their Leaving Certificate or Junior Certificate exams that week and they, with many other of our young players, are having to deal with added stress and pressure during these current times. Sport plays a crucial outlet for young people’s positive mental health and adds to the ‘Be Active’ message utilised by Jigsaw as part of their 5-a-day for positive mental health.
The LGFA in partnership with Lidl and Jigsaw will outline each of these 5 key messages throughout our Be Positive Week and we ask all our members to get involved and support our young members across the country and to assist our young members to help themselves also.
So what will happen during the week from 1st – 5th June?
- We will have a video from one of the Lidl One Good Club ambassadors to upload every day dealing with one of the Jigsaw 5 a day for positive mental health themes
- These videos will contain details of what the message means and sample activities a youth could complete to assist with their mental health
- The ambassadors will call on youths to upload their messages using the #SeriousSupport to show what they are doing on that day to match the theme
- They will call on other players and coaches across the country to share what they are doing to support positive mental health with their young players
- Jigsaw are also running a Team Challenge that week for any clubs or counties that want to get involved like the current ones that are happening with proceeds going to Jigsaw but that is optional for any club. Full details here.
What theme will be the focus for each day?
- Monday – Keep Learning
- Tuesday – Take Notice
- Wednesday – Keep Active
- Thursday – Connect
- Friday – Give
Full details of this initiative are available at https://ladiesgaelic.ie/learn/be-positive-with-5-a-day/
How can your club or county get involved?
- Ensure all your members, particularly your juveniles and their coaches, are aware of the upcoming week
- Interact with the Lidl One Good Club Ambassadors during the week by uploading activities relating to each of the 5-a-day on their designated days and use #SeriousSupport
- Encourage your young players to complete actions relating to the 5 a day while encouraging your adult players to share their tips and thoughts to help the juveniles in your club during that week
- The Jigsaw Team Challenge is also optional for your club and could help raise some much needed funding for Jigsaw whilst also raising awareness of youth mental health in your club
This is a powerful opportunity for all members of LGFA to support our juveniles in relation to positive mental health at a time that has proven difficult for many. The aim will be to ensure that all players and members in need will have a full awareness of the Jigsaw 5-a-Day for mental health.
Please see the link below which explains the 5-a-Day Campaign;
We would really encourage you to plan how you can get involved and let’s rally around our youths especially on exam week.
Looking forward to the week and we will have more on our social media pages throughout the week.
Chief Executive Officer
Ladies Gaelic Football Association